Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sunshine on the beach

So....the lady I live with, Christine, has been very nice. Last night she made us an omelette and salad for dinner. It was pretty good. We talked about her dating life. She told me about a time when she met a guy on-line from Nice. They talked for a month and he looked okay in his picture. Then she decided to meet him and was surprised to see a fat guy with yellow teeth and a pig nose. She said he became her stalker. It was funny and sad at the same time. From all the stress, she gained 18 kilos. She is still trying to get it off so we will be eating healthy food. That is okay because after all the weird meet and fries I had the last two weeks, healthy food is probably a good thing. After dinner, she said I could have a yogurt for dessert. I forgot that it is plain kind and after one bite I didn't want to finish it. I forced it down, though, so as not to be rude.

This morning, I got up to wash my hair. Her shower is a tub with no curtain and no shower head attached to the wall. There is a spout and a little spray handle that you can pull out to wash your hair like you would on a kitchen sink. I couldn't get it to give much water pressure, so I ended up just putting my head under the tub's faucet as I was in a hurry. Oh well. I went out on my little balcony and realized that things are really okay.

I am in the advanced class. However, our teacher was not really prepared today. We read an article for over an hour and discussed how wearing a skirt or dress takes away a woman's power in the world. We then discussed some random things with the people next to us. It wasn't too effective, but I met some cool students. Two girls that I hang out with yesterday are from Australia and Norway. They are cute and fun and came by themselves like me. We went up to La Colline du Chateau yesterday where you can see the whole beach after hiking up a tall hill. It was beautiful!! The water was sparkling and the sky was blue without a cloud.

This morning, I saw an EF tour group leaving a hotel. I realized how different that experience is from the one I am doing now. I stood out when I was with the tour. Now I am on my own, not as conspicuous and have to figure out the city without just trusting the group.

We are going to Monaco today. Should be fun!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't get that article. How does wearing a skirt or dress take away from woman power in the world? Are jeans better? A skirt or dressing nice tells me "woman power." Men dress nice and wear business attire, that tells people about man power. A skirt is the same form of that. Anything less would say...I don't dress as nice, so I shouldn't be seen as "powerful" as a man. It must be a European way of looking at things...they think so differently. What did you think of that statment?

Annette said...

I agree with Rayster about "Woman Power." Women and men have different ways to show power and a lady that always dresses down doesn't seem as powerful. (Some of them do have very nice pant outfits,) but a nice skirt/blazer/blouse outfit denotes power in many people's eyes.

Charlotte said...

Yeah, that article can be a bit confusing. Nobody agreed with it. So....it said that women have a tough role. They have to wear a skirt and look attractive and important but yet men see them for less. A skirt is hiding something just like a woman has to hide who she really is (skirt, make-up, high heels, hair extensions) to get the power she wants. So it makes a woman powerful by making her stand out yet takes away her power because it is so constrictive and in the end, she is unhappy. They said that the man have the controls. Anyway, I raised my hand and said that we can choose whatever we want to wear these days and all the other students agreed with me. There is no reason for women to feel forced into a skirt. There wasnt really much more debate about it. Any other ideas or comments?

Unknown said...

bien dit...