Friday, June 29, 2007

Last weekend in France

Well....it appears that this is my last weekend in France, so I had better enjoy it. I found out that the disco-thecs (or clubs) are filled with smoke and cost 20 Euros just to get in. I don't think that is worth it. The bars/pubs in downtown Nice are free but I hear from those who have been they smell bad and there are cockroaches all over the place. Plus you have to buy their expensive drinks. I was hoping to find another club like the one we went to in Southern Italy, but I guess we just lucked out that night. So....I might be hanging out with Christine and her friend Sylvio at the movies or something.

Tomorrow, I am taking a trip with the school to Cannes, where they hold a famous film festival every June, comparable to the Sundance Film Festival. We are going to take a boat ride to see the scenery and then go inside a church and a castle. I was originally planning to see Martine, a friend from Tahitian Noni who lives in Lyon. She promised to take me boating and see her city. However, the round trip train ticket would cost 148 Euros and I didn't think that would be worth it for just two days. Cannes is a good second choice.

Yesterday, I went all around Nice. I got some Socca, which is a famous item here. It looks like a big crepe on a pizza pan. The guy cuts it up into pieces in front of your eyes and then wraps it in paper for you. It is hard to explain the taste, but it was extremely delicious. I also went into some stores to look for a cute outfit. I found one that I think is pretty cute at a famous French store called Pimke. I decided to go all out so I went to McDonalds for a McFlurry. I know....in the USA, McDonalds is not anything we would want to seek out. Here in Europe it is different. There are six different kinds of McFlurrys. They are delicious!! I got a Praline and Caramel one. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!

Last night, Sylvio, Christine and I went to Antibes, a city right next to Nice. There we visited the Port of the Billionnaire. There were the most amazing yachts and boats that I had ever seen!! You have to be a billionnaire (or nearly) to have one there. The going price is a million Euros per square meter. Wow!!! I saw Bill Gate's boat, The Octopus. It had a helicopter and two other boats on top. Crazy how much money some people have!!

On Monday all these teachers are arriving for teacher classes. They sound so much more interesting--I am signed up for one about French music and another about French cartoons. We also have teacher excursions included. I am imagining (or crossing my fingers) that the instruction will improve and not be as slow.

Bon week-end tout le monde!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cuz, don't spend your last weekend in a pub/discoteque. Go explore your world. Cuz, don't let a few $$ (or Euros) get in the way of a good time. Your adventurous...what's another few hundred euros? Go to Lyon!!! That's just my advice.

I agree, McD's in Europe is way better than the U.S. U.S should take lessons from Europe. I would actually consent if missionaries wanted to eat at that place. Did they have peppermint McFlurry? Eat any good fish?

Hope French classes get meilleur!

Annette said...

I know about duddy workshops. Hopefully the music class will be a dynamite one. You definitely need to spend a few Euros on adventure. Who knows when you'll get back again.
Enjoy your last weekend. 07-07-07 will be here before you know it.