Thursday, June 21, 2007

113 Degrees F in Rome!!!!

Okay....so I know I havent written for a little while. It has been nearly impossible to find an internet cafe around here or free time to look for one. Luckily we have an hour right now. I had to ask 5 different Italians for directions to this place!!!

Anyway, I will just cut to the stories. How long has it been since I wrote? Well....we didnt stay long enough in France...luckily I will be going back all by myself on Sunday. The France part of this group tour flew by in two days. We had time for just Carcasonne and Avignon. I loved the Medival Architecture and beautiful scenary! On Monday morning we went to a French perfume factory in Eze. It was so fun to see the complete process of turning flowers, herbs, spices and fruits into perfumes. To become "the nose," you have to study at a prestigious school and then only work 2 hours per day in either Grasse or Eze so as not to mix the wrong flavors. We had a competition to match flowers and fruits with their smells. We all got little white pots to unscrew and smell. I was terrible!! I got the lemon right and the chocolate bean, but I mixed up the lily of the valley with another plant. I could never be "the nose." They then talked us into getting their really expensive perfume, at a discounted price, but still expensive. I got some of the latest scents in Paris, so I will be styling when I get home.

We passed through Monaco and went to Pisa. Pisa was a fun place, but filled with crowds. People were all over the place trying to get a picture that looked like they were pushing the Leaning Tower of Pisa over. It was crazy. We werent supposed to walk on the grass, but tourists will break all rules for a picture, I swear. Then we saw a whole bunch of cute Pinnochios. Pinnochio is Italys claim to fame. I had to get myself a little marionnette. Cute!! As Cassy and I were walking around the little shops, all of the sudden, a group of big African guys started running with bags over their shoulders, pushing people over as they ran. It was so scary. They knocked over some cute dolls and broke a whole bunch of a little old mans magnets. We didnt know what was going on. We then realized that they were running away from the police as they were selling illegal items. Eeeeek!!

Tuesday was spent driving a lot. The bus is getting all cramped. I swear, I will not take things for granted when I get home...like exercise and healthy food. All our meals are tons of white bread, french fries, pastries...I miss fruits and vegetables!!!

Wednesday we went to Florence. It was fun! We had a really good tour guide there. We saw a replica of the David statue in the main square. Next to it were two other good statues made my Michelangelos students. However, he was so picky and hard.to.please that he called the Neptune statue, "A sack of potatoes" and the other one "the worst use of marble he had ever seen." We had a leather demonstration because Italy is famous for leather. It was pretty cool. Melissa bought a 200 Dollar leather purse. I bought some 10 dollar bookmarks, etched in real gold. Afterwards, we stood in line to see the real David statue, but after one hour, we hadnt moved at all. All the groups with reservations got to go first. What a bummer! We got out of line and went to have lunch. I ordered spinach, thinking it was a spinach salad. It ended up being cooked, soggy spinach. Just my luck!

Today has been spent in Rome. It is 113 Degrees Farenheit. There are so many people... it was hard to get around the Vatican, but I really loved seeing the Sistine Chapel. I wanted to send a postcard home, since the Vatican is its own country and has its own postmark, but there wasnt enough time. Too bad.

I am worried because my ankles look all swollen today. I hate that look. I like my ankles the way they normally are. I guess it is just the heat.

I only have 8 minutes left here. Sorry to those of you who I havent been able to email back yet. Our tour will finish on Saturday with Pompeii and then I will take off to Nice to study for a couple of weeks. I should have more time there to write postcards and emails as there is internet access at the school.

It has been really hot and tiring, but a cool experience and I am so happy I got to come here. The pizza is actually just like normal pizza at home, but with a thinner, drier crust and lots of greese on top of the cheese. Mmmmmm!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cuz, just think, I would be in France with you right now if we could have produced $3000! Oh man! I'm so jealous!

Buy any man scents in Paris? Bring me one if you can! HA!

That spinach sounded good. Did you eat it?

We had that same pizza in Sweden. It was run by Muslims. It was really good, and really well-priced.

Yeah, I wonder about your nose. No girl has ever commented on my VS cologne. Am I not using it enough?

Can't wait to hear about France now!

Natalie R. said...

Hey Charlotte, I know how awful swollen ankles are! The last few weeks, I've had to put my feet up at least an hour a day to bring down the swelling. It sounds like you're having a great time, though!!! Bummer about not seeing the David, but that's great that you saw the Vatican! :0)

Annette said...

Charlotte, did you remember that I wanted some Pinocchio's from Pisa? I had told you about them before I left home? What did you think of the 'ol leaning tower?